Monday, July 23, 2007

Pitfalls of Life

I have a little "problem", well the older I get the more it seems to have turned into a big "problem". It seems that I was born without motivational skills, or ambition. I may have gotten a little bit of talent because I can turn a bookcase into a living reptarium like nobody else. Or what about my ability to take the ordinary and turn it into the extraordinary. I've got wine glasses scattered around as candles and let me tell you what those do for mood lighting. I've got plates creating patterns on my walls, intricately placed so they look like they cost me more than the three dollars I paid at the thrift store. I can manipulate and craft and create with everyday things and paints and jewels and beads. Same goes for my clothing, what others do not dare to put together I can throw on in a seconds notice and be out the door. So I've got talent, maybe even truckloads of talent. But motivation and ambition seem to be lacking.
I have no formal training in anything. I have been to two colleges and dropped out of both. Why? Because I was bored, I could not stand getting up and going to class, I'd rather sit at home and write or create or do God knows what else anything but sit in class. I started out as a fashion design student, you would think I would be motivated to stay in school for. Dead wrong, I was bored to tears in two weeks. I found the industry appalling and the designs hideous, I was out of there faster than you could say "next". Then came the Cultural Studies degree and I soon realized that if I didn't want to be a teacher I needed to find an exit and fast!
So here I am trying to stay motivated to start cosmetology school and I just do not have it in me. I never have the motivation to stick with jobs or schools or programs or if we want to get technical hair colors for more than a month or two. I did finish out a year at a real college but I was never able to push myself to go back. I want to know if I was a character in Greek tragedy would this be my tragic flaw? Lack of ambition perhaps? Cannot motivate oneself to complete tasks, abandons projects as soon as she begins them. I quoted Oscar Wilde awhile back ( "There are two tragedies in life one is not getting what you want the other is getting it") I think it almost is a tragedy for me to get what I want because then I don't want it anymore. When things are out of reach for me they are much more enjoyable.
Now that I've implicated myself there has to be more of this going on, I cannot be the only one. Is this natural human nature or is it selective? I believe that not everyone feels this way because there would be no doctors, teachers, lawyers, nurses, or anybody that has any job title out there if this is true. So who does this happen to I would really like to know because it is a strange occurrence that I just don't understand. Stay tuned to see how my story ends.......

1 comment:

Beginning with "B" said...

I'm sticking around to see how your story "begins."

(or, begins again.)

~~Such is life, dear.
Working through the pitfalls between, will bring you closer...

maybe. Risk sticking it out,
and your ending, will settle into something you can live with.

(wink*)

xx,b/adam