Monday, August 6, 2007

Growing Beauty Out Of Irritation And What They Really Teach You At College

During my year at a formal college I took a course that was technically about marketing but we covered a lot of ground in that class. There was a big emphasis on discovering ourselves and maintaining our happiness as well as working on our personal growth. I remember one day the instructor telling us how a pearl is formed. Now to some people this was a rather trivial fact but I found it to be rather interesting, simply for the metaphor that he was leading into. I’m sure I cannot get the actual logistics of how exactly a pearl comes to be but from what I understand a pearl comes about when something inside a clam is irritated and the irritation grows and grows until finally the pearl grows out of it. (I’m sure there is much more technical wording and such involved in that but I’m aiming for the metaphor in this story). The point he was trying to get across was that in life if you are frustrated don’t give up cause something is going to result in all that frustration, if you push and push and push eventually you are going to come out of it with a masterpiece of sorts. It kind of ties in with one of my favorite quotes by Winston Churchill “If you’re going through hell, keep going,” Could not have said it better myself, but what good is knowing something good is waiting for us when we are in the throes of agony? When we are beaten down? When we just want to give up? When the promise of a pearl or that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow just does not matter anymore, what do we do at that point? That’s the point when it matters the most because you may not even know what your pearl is or where it is or when its coming you just have to remember that it is coming and you will get it. Blind faith is a must, if you’re going to believe in something, believe in this, if you are out there and you are stuck and you do not know where you are going or what you are doing, keep going, something will get you there. Why do I say this you ask? Do you think it has worked for me? The honest truth, no it has not. But I have some sort of faith in the universe that if I continue to struggle and continue to persevere and push and push until I push myself out of this place I will find my pearl, not that I know what it is or when its coming, but I know its there. I’ve been blessed with very good intuition and I believe in this and myself. I won’t give up, it’s just not an option and I hope anyone reading this won’t either. Look what happens when the inside of a clam is irritated. Out of struggle comes victory and beauty. I hope you will all find your own pearl.

No comments: